Accommodation questions

What is the typical budget for a student wanting to rent private accommodation?

For a general weekly budget, visit our living costs page. The cost of accommodation does vary in each city, so for more detailed information you can refer to the Accommodation Guide for your city.

Are rental prices in the centre of the city more expensive than in the suburbs?

As a general rule, the closer to the Central Business District (CBD) you live, the more expensive the rent will be.

Will I be able to find private accommodation within walking distance of my campus?

Not necessarily. Accommodation that is close to campus is very popular. It’s worth looking to see what you can find, but it is more likely that you will find accommodation that is a short bus or train ride from your ACU campus. 

Can ACU arrange permanent accommodation for me?

Unfortunately due to Australian residential tenancies laws, it is not possible for ACU to arrange private rental accommodation for students before they arrive. It is possible to book long-term Homestay through Australian Homestay Network before you arrive.

Can I get a rental property that is fully furnished?

It is possible to get a fully furnished property; however, they tend to be more expensive and can be hard to get.  Most rental accommodation is unfurnished.

How long will it take to find suitable private rental accommodation?

In most cases, it is possible to find suitable permanent accommodation within 2–3 weeks of arriving in Australia, as long as you don’t have unrealistic expectations about location and budget.

However, Australian cities are currently experiencing a rental shortage, which means in some cases it may take weeks or even months to find long-term rental accommodation. This is why it’s important to book some convenient short-term accommodation before you arrive in Australia, so that you have somewhere to say while you’re looking for a rental property. Unfortunately ACU has no control over this situation.

Should I rent private accommodation or book a Homestay?

There’s no right or wrong answer for the sort of accommodation you choose – it really depends on your needs and expectations. If you prefer to live with other students, a private rental or a share house might be the best option. If you want to experience life with an Australian family, then Homestay offers a lot of benefits. Homestay accommodation is typically more expensive, but includes your meals and bills.

How do I apply for Homestay accommodation?

You can book Homestay through the Australian Homestay Network (AHN).

I am a postgraduate student, and I will be coming to Australia with my wife and child. Can ACU assist me to find suitable accommodation for myself and my family?

Success in finding accommodation ultimately depends on what is available in the market. International Student Advisers can try to help, and can give you useful information about where to look, but ultimately it will be up to you to secure long-term accommodation. 

Can ACU arrange temporary accommodation for me?

It is up to you to arrange your own temporary accommodation. Visit our short-term accommodation page for information on how to find suitable temporary accommodation. If you are having difficulty, please contact your International Student Adviser for help. 

Do I have to sign a contract when I rent a property?

In most cases, you will be required to sign a contract to protect both you (the Tenant) and the Landlord. The minimum contract period is usually six months, but most contracts are 12 months long. Please be aware that a tenancy agreement is a legally binding document and you will be required to adhere to the conditions of the agreement. Before signing a tenancy agreement, learn about your tenant rights and responsibilities:

What is a bond?

A bond is a security deposit held over the accommodation which a student rents. Most private rentals will require you to pay a bond. It is mainly used to cover the costs of maintenance and cleaning after a tenant leaves the accommodation. There are rules and regulations that govern the use of the Bond. Please refer to the Rental Tenancy Authority in the relevant state for further information:

Who should I speak to if I have a problem with my accommodation?

If you’re having trouble any aspect of your accommodation, you should speak to the International Student Adviser  on your campus. They can point you in the right direction.