Extend your student visa

Extend your student visa

International students on a student visa must complete their course within the duration specified in their Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) (Standard 9 of the National Code 2007). The University may only extend a Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) where documented compassionate or compelling circumstances exist, an intervention strategy is being implemented or a student has been granted an approved deferment or suspension of study.

If your student visa expires before you complete your course, you must submit a new student visa application to the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) before your current visa expires.  

What do I need to extend my student visa?

How do I obtain a new CoE for a student visa extension?

Higher Degree Research students (student visa subclass 574)

You need to talk to your research supervisor(s) about extending your candidature before applying for a student visa extension. Please contact the Graduate Research office regarding the procedure of candidature extension
Thesis examination
If you have submitted your thesis, you do not need a CoE while you are waiting for the results of your thesis examination. You will need to provide DIBP with a letter from the Graduate Research office confirming that you have submitted your thesis and an approximate time frame for examination. 
The Graduate Research office can be contacted via email res.cand@acu.edu.au

Australia Awards Scholarship students (student visa subclass 576)

You should contact your Student Contact Officer as you must have approval from Australia Awards to extend your visa. You do not need a CoE to extend your student visa.