The immersion experience program is life changing... You learn so much and it opens your eyes to global events, issues, and cultures. I want to be able to make a difference in this world.”
The world is getting smaller, and understanding international issues, relations and change is more important than ever. So if you want to make an impact on the global stage, a career in international development or global studies might be for you.
Why us? Because it’s about you
With us, you’ll get an informed global perspective. And you’ll gain the knowledge, understanding and skills needed for competent, compassionate, ethical and professional engagement with communities around the world.
If you have a strong commitment to the common good and respect for the dignity of the human person, you’ll thrive at ACU.
A degree that belongs on your bucket list
Your time with us is about more than finding a career. It’s also about discovering new places and experiences. Our degrees provide opportunities to study overseas and participate in our local and international community engagement programs. If you choose the Bachelor of International Development Studies, you’ll spend at least three weeks with a development or humanitarian program in a developing country.
A range of opportunities
Your career could take you around Australia or overseas, working with a non-government organisation, the United Nations, human rights advocacy, social entrepreneurship, fair trade businesses, eco and responsible tourism, humanitarian work, private aid distributors and more.
We’ve got your back
If you don’t meet the state-based requirements for entry into your degree, don’t panic. There are lots of ways into ACU. Explore our pathways to get started. Explore our pathways to get started.
Bachelor of Global Studies
The Bachelor of Global Studies is offered as part of a range of dual degrees. Students can pair the degree with:
- Bachelor of Applied Public Health/Bachelor of Global Studies
- Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Global Studies
- Bachelor of Business Administration/Bachelor of Global Studies
- Bachelor of Commerce/Bachelor of Global Studies
- Bachelor of Laws/Bachelor of Global Studies
- Bachelor of Theology/Bachelor of Global Studies
These innovative double degree courses provide high achieving students with an informed international perspective that will be valued in the global workplace.
The core units undertaken in global studies are environmental sustainability, global health, global change and development, world politics and justice - fostering students' knowledge and understanding of the social, political, cultural, legal, environmental and economic changes that are shaping our world.
The program includes a semester of study abroad at one of more than 70 partner universities around the world. In some cases, students may undertake an approved international internship of their choice.
Do you have a passion for international study? Our courses in international development and global studies will give you the opportunity to gain cross-cultural experience by studying in Australia and completing an overseas study tour or internship.
Bachelor of International Development Studies
You will be equipped with the knowledge and skills needed to work for organisations that aim to improve the lives of some of the world's most disadvantaged people. A key feature of this course is the immersion experience in the third year of the program. This experience will expose you to the people, life and culture of communities in a developing country and provide you vital practical knowledge in the field.
Expand your horizons and become globally aware. The Bachelor of Global Studies is offered as part of a range of dual degrees.
The global studies programs include a semester of study abroad at one of our 70 plus partner universities around the world.
Why do states go to war? Why is democracy considered good and despotism bad? What types of people become terrorists, and should they be applauded or condemned? Do we have obligations to alleviate the suffering of people living beyond our shores? Should political leaders be virtuous and trustworthy? Is it the role of citizens to ‘keep the bastards honest’?
If you are passionate about these questions, want to know more about power, violence and justice, and can see yourself in a career in government, foreign relations or advocacy, then Politics and International Relations at ACU is for you.
From the everyday politics of the local level to the power struggles of great nations, the Politics and International Relations major at ACU offers students interested in the workings of diplomacy, warfare, elections, the global economy, the nature of political parties, and the rise and fall of great powers, the conceptual tools to think critically and act decisively in an ever-changing world.
As an ACU graduate in Politics and International Relations what valued skills will you possess?
Upon completion of your specialisation you will be able to:
- Understand the ideas and values that underpin different political traditions
- Analyse and offer concrete advice on political actors, institutions and events, both domestically and globally
- Create and/or apply frameworks to bring order to a large volume of disparate data sets and sources
- Synthesise information from a range of perspectives and approaches to isolate unanticipated connections
- Understand the real-world dynamics of complicated, multi-actor decision-making processes
- Combine aspects of theory with the practical study of concrete problems and events
Where to from ACU?
- Our students have gone onto work for leading government departments, international organisations, NGOs, the private sector, and in research
- Our History specialisation provides a pathway for further study at the Honours, Master’s and Doctoral levels
- When combined with an appropriate tertiary teaching qualification, the History specialisation is an enriching pathway to becoming a secondary-school History teacher
There are no postgraduate options for this discipline
Page last updated: 2018-06-27
Short url: http://www.acu.edu.au/courses/1402353