Diploma of Nursing
Course code: HLT54115
Key features of the course
- Range of interesting Nursing topics including:
- Anatomy and Physiology
- Wound Management
- Medication administration
- Palliative care
- Successful completion of the course leading to AHPRA registration as Enrolled Nurse
- Pathway into the Bachelor of Nursing at ACU with credit for the first year of the degree course
- Use of modern nursing laboratories and equipment
- Ten weeks practical placement in a range of facilities providing hands on experience with patients
- Supportive and well qualified teachers with extensive nursing experience
- Access to a range of student activities in a University environment
- Access to academic skills support and career advice
Full time – 18 months
Part time – 27 months
Face to face classes
Melbourne Campus (Fitzroy)
Ballarat Campus (Lake Wendouree)
February and July each year
Ararat - February only
Please Note: Melbourne dates are full at the moment. If you are interested in studying at Melbourne Campus please send an enquiry.
- Those who are passionate about health and well-being
- Those who want to start a career in Nursing
- Those who are looking for a pathway to the Bachelor of Nursing
- Those who want to work in the medical field
- Those who enjoy caring for people
- Year 12 or equivalent including English
- Language, literacy and numeracy skills at an appropriate level to complete the course.
- Must be 18 years of age by the first professional experience placement
- Current Police Check
- Working with Children Check
Possible career paths include:
- Work as an Enrolled Nurse in an acute hospital, mental health, aged care and community setting.
- Registration with AHPRA on successful completion of the course.
- Pathway into Bachelor of Nursing to become a registered nurse.
We recognise your past studies and experiences. If you want to apply for Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) and Credit Transfer (CT) please refer to the student handbook and RPL/CT Policy on our website for further information.
For all ENN units you must provide evidence of undertaking 'enrolled nurse work' as an enrolled nurse or enrolled nurse student.
CHCDIV001 Work with diverse people
CHCDIV002 Promote Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander cultural safety
CHCPRP003 Reflect on and improve own professional practice
HLTAAP002 Confirm physical health status
HLTAAP003 Analyse and respond to client health information
HLTENN001 Practise nursing within the Australian health care system
HLTENN002 Apply communication skills in nursing practice
HLTENN003 Perform clinical assessment and contribute to planning nursing care
HLTENN004 Implement, monitor and evaluate nursing care plans
HLTENN005 Contribute to nursing care of a person with complex needs
HLTENN006 Apply principles of wound management in the clinical environment
HLTENN007 Administer and monitor medicines and intravenous therapy
HLTENN008 Apply legal and ethical parameters to nursing practice
HLTENN009 Implement and monitor care for a person with mental health conditions
HLTENN011 Implement and monitor care for a person with acute health problems
HLTENN012 Implement and monitor care for a person with chronic health problems
HLTENN013 Implement and monitor care of the older person
HLTENN015 Apply nursing practice in the primary health care setting
HLTINF001 Comply with infection prevention and control policies and procedures
HLTWHS002 Follow safe work practices for direct client care
HLTAID003 Provide first aid
HLTENN010 Apply a palliative approach in nursing practice
HLTENN025 Implement and monitor care for a person with diabetes
HLTWHS006 Manage personal stressors in the work environment
BSBWOR404 Develop work priorities
AHPRA Registration Requirements
Registration standards define the requirements that applicants, registrants or students need to meet to be registered. The Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia has developed the mandatory registration standards. Please check the registration requirements.
Tuition fees and funding
In Victoria the training is delivered with Victorian and Commonwealth Government funding for eligible candidates. Please refer to the Department of Education & Training website for funding eligibility in Victoria. VET Student Loans are available for eligible students, please refer to our fees page for details.
Applications direct to ACUcom
Application for this course is made directly to ACUcom and not through VTAC. Please contact the office at firstname.lastname@example.org (for Melbourne, Ballarat and Ararat Campuses) for more details.
Please note: you will be required to complete a pre-training assessment as part of the application process.