Certificate in Education Support (Pathway)
Pathway to Bachelor of Education
Key features of the course
- A range of interesting topics including:
- Supporting students’ literacy learning
- Child development
- Helping students with disability
- Autism spectrum disorder
- Small classes in modern classrooms
- Practical placement in a school providing hands on experience working with students
- Supportive and well qualified trainers with extensive teaching experience in schools
- Guaranteed pathway into the Bachelor of Education on successful completion of the course
- Access to student activities in a University environment
- Access to academic skills support and career advice
- Those who are passionate about working with children or adolescents
- Those who want a career in educational settings as teacher aides, integration aides and education support workers
- Those who want to make a difference to the education of children and young people
- Those parents who want to be informed on how to help their own children develop their literacy and numeracy skills
- Those who want to assist students with a disability
- Those who are looking for a pathway into the Bachelor of Education at ACU
- Year 12 or equivalent including English
- Language, literacy and numeracy skills at an appropriate level to complete the course.
- Current Police Check
- Working with Children Check
Possible career paths include:
- Education support worker in a special school
- Education support worker in primary or secondary schools
- Support worker in before or after school care
- Pathways to Bachelor of Education at ACU leading to a teaching qualification
We recognise your past studies and experiences. If you want to apply for Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) and Credit Transfer (CT) please refer to the student handbook and RPL/CT Policy on our website for further information.
Units of study for Cert IV in Education Support
CHCDIV001 Work with diverse people
CHCDIV002 Promote Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander cultural safety
CHCECE006 Support behaviour of children and young people
CHCEDS001 Comply with legislative, policy and industrial requirements in the education environment
CHCEDS021 Assist in facilitation of student learning
CHCEDS022 Work with students in need of additional support
CHCEDS024 Use educational strategies to support Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander education
CHCEDS025 Facilitate learning for students with disabilities
CHCEDS032 Support learning and implementation of responsible behaviour
CHCPRP003 Reflect on and improve own professional practice
CHCPRT001 Identify and respond to children and young people at risk
HLTWHS001 Participate in work health and safety
Bachelor of Education (Primary) units
- Semester 1: MATH140: Introduction to Mathematical Thinking
- Semester 2: POLS140: Global Citizens: Civics and Citizenship in a Changing World
- Semester 1: ENGL104: Exploring Literature OR NMBR140: Introduction to Mathematical Thinking OR SCIT140: Science in Our World
- Semester 2: POLS140 Global Citizens: Civics and Citizenship in a Changing World
CHCEDS006 Support the development of numeracy skills
CHCEDS020 Support students’ literacy learning
CHCEDS031 Provide support to students with autism spectrum disorder
CHCEDS003 Contribute to student education in all developmental domains
CHCEDS026 Deliver elements of teaching and learning programs
Tuition fees and funding
In Victoria the training is delivered with Victorian and Commonwealth Government funding for eligible candidates. Please refer to the Department of Education & Training website for funding eligibility in Victoria.
In Brisbane the training is delivered fee for service. Please refer to our fees page for details.
Applications direct to ACUcom
Application for this course is made directly to ACUcom and not through VTAC/QTAC. Please contact the office at email@example.com (for Melbourne and Ballarat Campuses) and firstname.lastname@example.org (for Brisbane Campus) for more details.
Please note: you will be required to complete a pre-training review before the enrolment.
- Brisbane: Please apply online. The ACUcom team will advise on pre-training review once application is received.
- Victoria (Melbourne and Ballarat): Please book your pre-training review.