The University has an expectation that everyone who participates in online commentary will understand and follow these simple but important guidelines.
- If you are writing about ACU or any other university, be transparent and state that you are a student or staff member at ACU. Your honesty will be noted in the social media environment. If you have a vested interest in what you are discussing, be the first to say so. If you are a staff member you should use your real name, identify that you work for ACU and be clear about your role.
- Be aware that participating in online debates and posting to the Internet is a form of publishing. This means the usual rules of publishing apply, including defamation.
- Never represent yourself or ACU in a false or misleading way. All statements must be true and not misleading; all claims must be substantiated. Any use of the ACU logo and associated University logos (i.e. Student Association, Institutes or Research Centres) must be approved by Marketing and Communications.
- Post meaningful, respectful comments. In other words, no spam, and no remarks that are off-topic or offensive.
- Use common sense and common courtesy. For example, it is best to ask permission to publish or report on conversations that are meant to be private. Make sure your efforts are transparent and do not violate the relevant University policies.
- Academic staff are encouraged to participate in public debates in their areas of expertise.
- When disagreeing with the opinions of others, keep content and tone appropriate and polite. If you find yourself in a situation online that looks like it is becoming antagonistic, do not become overly defensive and try to disengage from the dialogue in a polite manner.
- Be conscious of the sensitivities of debates that you are engaging in. Even anonymous comments may be traced back to the University.
- Be smart about protecting yourself and your privacy and confidential University information. What you publish is widely accessible, and will be around for a long time, so consider the content carefully.