What’s the issue?
Every year, Australians buy more than twice the global average of new clothes and textiles.
Two-thirds of these fast-fashion textiles are made of synthetic fibres – fibres which shed thousands of micro plastic particles when washed or disposed of in landfill. The processing of these fibres uses water and energy intensively. This contributes to greenhouse gas emissions and enormous strain on the ecosystems that depend on healthy water flow in rivers.
In the same way we’ve become more aware of the quality of food we’re eating, we are becoming more conscious about what we wear. We need to start thinking more about how we can reduce our clothing and textile footprint.
What are we doing about it?
In partnership with St Vincent de Paul Society, we’re running All Good in the Hood, a clothing drive across all of our campuses – to raise awareness amongst our students around clothes wastage here in Australia.
The collected clothes – will be donated to the St Vincent de Paul Society, who will, in turn, be able to give your quality second hand clothing a new lease on life, for someone in need, whilst reducing landfill.
All proceeds made from the resale of the clothes – are used to offset the administrative running costs of the St Vincent De Paul Society – which in turn frees up more resources to support many of their programs supporting and assisting people here in Australia, but also abroad doing it tough.
We’re asking students to donate five quality items of clothing – to support this cause. There will also be a limited number ACU Hoodies available for students who participate – should they choose to take it.
What clothing can I donate?
If it's good enough quality to give to a friend, then it's something we'd love.
We’re talking shirts, pants, shorts, jumpers, jackets, dresses, skirts, shoes – just make sure they’re clean.
When is it?
- Tuesday 24th October, 11:30am – 1:30pm
- Wednesday 25th October, 11:30am – 1:30pm
Add a reminder
Pick your campus below, and pop it in your calendar for a handy reminder.
- Brisbane FB event
- Ballarat FB event
- Canberra FB event
- Melbourne FB event
- North Sydney FB event
- Strathfield FB event
- Get informed: learn about the problems in the textile industry and about the people and companies working hard to make things better. Check out Good On You, an ethical fashion app that tracks the social and environmental sustainability of many brands.
- Buy from ethical suppliers: choose apparel made by suppliers that provide an assurance that their supply chain is free of labour abuse and minimises environmental impacts. A great place to start is Ethical Clothing Australia, a voluntary accreditation program that helps Australian businesses bring fashion to market ethically.
- Buy fewer items of clothes. Fast fashion exists because we reward fast-fashion companies with our money. Buy better but fewer clothes, from ethical suppliers.
Don't forget to share your day with #ACUinthehood
Page last updated: 2017-10-17
Short url: http://www.acu.edu.au/1337355