14 August 2009: The theme of Unity was conveyed in diverse and imaginative ways by the winners of Australian Catholic University’s (ACU) Pixel Prize, a photography competition open to high school students in Queensland, Victoria and NSW.
Launched this year, the competition received more than 380 entries nationally and winners shared in the national prize pool of over $5000.
Dr Tracey Sanders, Acting Head of Arts and Sciences at ACU and a Queensland competition judge, said the quality of the photographs was outstanding.
“The winners of the competition each possessed a keen aesthetic eye, use of light and balance, a photo that tells a story, a unique personal ‘lens’, unexpected vantage points and technical proficiency,” she said.
“In photography, we make magic. A split moment of immortality is captured– frozen moments in time or place passed down through the ages, telling visual stories from our past and present. Some of the best photographs are random, snapshots of our lives unplanned and unrepeatable.”
Competition organiser Alex Brisbane said he was impressed with the fantastic response and high quality of submissions.
“Getting your work seen by other photographers, the public and people in the industry is a very important step in pursuing photography as a career or serious hobby,” he said.
The Pixel Prize Exhibition will feature in galleries at the Brisbane, Melbourne and Strathfield campuses until the end of August.
The winners for each state are as follows:
- Overall: Cailin Engel
- Runners-up: Sarah Lee in the Digital Darkroom category, Mitchell Galbraith in the Place category and Rachael Hetherington in the People category
- Strathfield Council Award: Alex Berlage
- Overall: Christine Conlon
- Runners-up: Malcolm Hewitt in the Digital Darkroom category, Bridie O’Donnell in the Place category and Jazmin Mansell in the People category
- Overall: Nathan Shanks
- Runners-up: Sophie Ereglidis in the Digital Darkroom category, Hadassah Wallis in the Place category and Harry Scott in the People category
For more information visit www.thepixelprize.com.au