Racism: It stops with everyone at ACU
Australian Catholic University (ACU) has thrown its support behind the Australian Human Rights Commission’s anti-racism campaign as a Community Supporter of the policy.
Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Students, Learning & Teaching) Professor Anne Cummins and Chief Operating Officer & Deputy Vice-Chancellor Dr Stephen Weller will sign a statement of agreement with Race Discrimination Commissioner Dr Tim Soutphommasane at ACU’s North Sydney campus on Monday.
Professor Cummins said the agreement was an acknowledgement that ACU’s own values were aligned with those of the Human Rights Commission. “Our Mission positively states our commitment to the dignity of the human person and the common good,” she said.
Dr Weller said the university’s proactive approach to equality and fairness was fundamental to the philosophy that “cultural diversity be embraced and the university is a safe and respectful community where racism is not tolerated”.
Initiatives in place to support the agreement include:
- A Discrimination and Harassment Policy which reinforces that race based discrimination and harassment are not tolerated; support is available for staff members and students to deal with their concerns and complaints,
- A proactive approach to enhancing inclusiveness and respect; staff members are encouraged to come together in a safe environment to share their knowledge and increase understanding of various cultural perspectives,
- An Indigenous Employment Framework provides opportunities for staff members to build their cultural competency regarding Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander culture,
- Staff and students are encouraged to support Harmony Day every year, which coincides with the United Nations International Day for the Elimination of Racial Discrimination,
- ACU’s National Student Association (ACUNSA) supports the diversity of our campuses and the right of our students to study in a hate free environment; ACUNSA will include its statement of support at all events and in written communications.