Senior Advisor, Church Policy
ACU North Sydney Campus (MacKillop)
40 Edward Street, North Sydney
NSW 2060 Australia
Phone: +61 2 9739 2577
Nigel Zimmermann is Senior Advisor, Church Policy at Australian Catholic University within the Office of Government, Policy and Strategy. He offers support and advice to ACU’s major stakeholders in the Catholic community, and helps the University and the Church to give voice to their significant contributions in Australian public life.
Nigel’s academic background is in theology and bioethics, and has published on topics in contemporary moral and philosophical theology, medical ethics, the Second Vatican Council, inter-religious dialogue, and ecumenism. Originally from Brisbane, he has lived and worked in the US, UK, and Sydney, Australia. Nigel is a member of the Australian Catholic Life Council.
- MA in Bioethics and Medical Law, St Mary’s University Twickenham, 2016
- PhD, The University of Edinburgh, 2012
- MThSt, Brisbane College of Theology, 2005
- BA (Journalism), Queensland University of Technology, 2001
Private Secretary to Most Rev Peter A Comensoli, 2012-2016
- Lecturer in Theology, University of Notre Dame Australia, 2012-2014; Adjunct Lecturer with UNDA’s Institute for Ethics & Society, since 2015
- Sessional Lecturer, John Paul II Institute for Marriage and Family Melbourne, since 2014
- Member, Scottish Council of Bioethics, since 2011
- Wingate Scholar, Edinburgh, 2011-2013
- Tutor, School of Divinity, University of Edinburgh, 2008-2012
- Facing the Other: John Paul II, Levinas, and the Body, Wipf & Stock Cascade, 2015.
- The Great Grace: Receiving Vatican II Today (Editor), Bloomsbury T&T Clark, 2015.
- Levinas and Theology, Bloomsbury T&T Clark, 2013.
- “Renewing the Hippocratic tradition, one physician at a time”, Seminar, Institute for Ethics & Society, University of Notre Dame Australia, Sydney NSW (2015)
- “The mission to the family and the mission to the poor in light of Gaudium et Spes and the provocations of Pope Francis”, paper presented to Catholic Theological Ethics in the World Church (CTEWC) Asian Regional Conference, Bangalore, India (2015)
- “Theology after Levinas”, paper presented to Australian Catholic Theological Association (ACTA) annual meeting, Mary MacKillop Place Sydney (2015)
- “Vatican II and the ‘nobility’ of marriage and the family: The ecclesiological dimension of the family in Gaudium et Spes”, paper presented to Ecclesiological Investigations conference, ‘Vatican II – Remembering the Future: Ecumenical, Interfaith and Secular Perspectives on the Council’s Impact and Promise, Georgetown University, Washington DC, USA (2015)
- Invited contributor to a “panel addressing questions of secularism, religion, and law in Australia” at the International Law and Religion Symposium, Varieties of Secularism, Religion and the Law, Brigham Young University, Utah, USA (2014)
- Researcher-in-residence, Revd Dr Murray McGregor Memorial Scholarship, Gladstone’s Library, Hawarden, Wales, 2012
- Certificat d’Études en Français Langue Étrangère (2009) Institut Catholique de Paris, Universitas Catholica Parisiensis, Institut de Langue et de Culture Françaises
Page last updated: 2017-06-28
Short url: http://www.acu.edu.au/1133623