Senior Policy Advisor
ACU North Sydney Campus (MacKillop)
40 Edward Street
North Sydney, NSW, 2060
Phone: +61 2 9465 9071
Andrew Dowling is Senior Policy Advisor in the Office of Government, Policy and Strategy. His role is focused on policy developments in teacher education and health services.
Andrew has had an extensive career spanning over 25 years in the education sector as a teacher, researcher and in policy. Prior to working at the Australian Catholic University in 2015, he worked in the NSW Department of Education and at the Australian Council for Educational Research (ACER).
- Ph.D. University of Sydney
- Executive MBA. Australian Graduate School of Management (AGSM)
- MA (Research). University of Queensland
- Graduate Diploma in Teaching (Secondary). Queensland University of Technology (QUT)
- BA (Hons). University of Queensland
- Chief Policy Officer, NSW Department of Education. 2010-2015
- Principal Research Fellow, Australian Council for Educational Research (ACER). 2007-2010
- Various senior positions in the NSW Department of Education. 2002-2007
- Research Manager, Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences, UTS. 1999 – 2002
- Various teaching roles at University of Sydney, University of Queensland, UTS, and QUT. 1991 – 1999
- Secondary School Teacher, Queensland Education Department. 1989 – 1990
Publications / Articles (selection)
Co-author, NSW Department of Education. Australian School Funding Arrangements: A discussion paper. Submission to the Gonski Review of School Funding. 2011.
Preschool Education in Australia. ACER Policy Brief. 2010
Output Measurement in Education. ACER Policy Brief. 2009
Co-author. Development of a Framework for a Nationally Consistent Dataset Concerning the Teaching Workforce across Australia. ACER. 2009.
Australia’s School Funding System. ACER Policy Brief. 2008. (Also published in the Australian Journal of Education. 52.2, August 2008, pp. 129-50).
Co-author. Starting Point Analysis: Early Childhood Education in Australia. In collaboration with the Boston Consulting Group. 2008.
Manliness and the Male Novelist in Victorian Literature. London: Ashgate Press. 2001
"Matrimonial Conflict and the Divorce Court in George Eliot's Fiction." Nineteenth-Century Literature, Vol. 50, No. 3: 322-336. 1995.
Page last updated: 2017-06-27
Short url: http://www.acu.edu.au/768022