The University Research Committee, as a Standing Committee of Academic Board, will collaborate with, and respond to, Academic Board to develop and administer policies, procedures and strategies that will promote high quality research and research training across the University.
Terms of Reference
- To advise and respond to Academic Board on:
- the development of research-related policies and the operation of those policies in accordance with the Research Intensification Strategy
- the development and presentation of academic staff training seminars on research-related policies
- the establishment of Research Institutes and Centres
- To provide regular reports to Academic Board on all matters related to research within the University;
- To initiate, review and monitor compliance with relevant legislation, policies and procedures;
- To receive, consider and respond to reports from Faculty Boards in relation to research and research training;
- To receive requests and act on issues which come from Academic Board for the URC’s consideration;
- To provide regular reports to Academic Board on the progress of the implementation all matters delegated to it by Academic Board;
- To receive reports on the administration University funding for research and research training;
- To administer and undertake regular reviews of the regulations for Doctoral degrees and Master's degrees by research;
- To admit persons to candidature for research degrees in accordance with regulations approved by Academic Board;
- To consider and respond to matters referred by the Pro Vice-Chancellor Research relating to the examination of research degree theses, including appointment of examiners and the results of examination;
- To recommend the award of Doctoral degrees and Master's degrees by research to Academic Board; and
- To promote research and research training by Indigenous Australians.
- Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Research) (Chair)
- Vice-Chancellor and President (on invitation)
- Vice-President (or nominee)
- Chair, Academic Board
- Pro Vice-Chancellor (Research)
- Executive Dean from each Faculty
- Executive Deans or nominees
- Associate Dean (Research) from each Faculty
- Pro Vice-Chancellor (Engagement)
- Higher Degree by Research student (nominated by the Postgraduate Association)
- Indigenous member (nominated by the First Peoples and Equity Pathways Directorate)
- Three senior researchers (appointed by the Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Research))
- Senior Manager, Research Services, ODVCR
- Research Executive Advisor, ODVCR
- Manager, Graduate Research, ODVCR
Where necessary, the Chair can nominate another member of the Committee to act as Chair.
All committee members, including the Chair, have voting rights.
Half the members of the Committee, excluding the Vice-Chancellor and President who attends on invitation only, plus one shall constitute a quorum.
Date of Establishment: 23 July 2008 (Academic Board Resolution 63/2008 refers). The Committee replaced the previous University Research and Research Training Committee, 2001-2008; the latter was established in 2001 following the amalgamation of the University Research Degrees and University Research Management Committees.
Meeting Frequency: Up to 11 times per year or as deemed necessary by the Committee Chair.
Responsible Officer: Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Research)
Executive Officer: Executive Officer to the Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Research)
Review: The Committee reviews it procedures and membership as it deems necessary and recommends accordingly to the Academic Board.
Approved: Academic Board Meeting 29 November 2017
Page last updated: 2017-12-04
Short url: http://www.acu.edu.au/470930