30 places, 30 hours per student, per season.
The MRP Colts is a new division of rugby where young men and women aged 14 to 18 years old, who may have never had the chance to play team sport, are matched with a Player Mentor who is 18 to 24 years old. Player Mentors will support them both on and off the field. It’s all about moving these young people from the sidelines and into the main game of rugby and life.
Driving this social change through rugby clubs means we can create a long-term home within an established community for those with learning and perceptual disabilities. It’s not ‘special rugby’ – the MRP is all about giving the rugby and broader community the tools to ‘do inclusion’.
To do this, we’ll take you through the Ginger Cloud Leadership Program, covering topics like consistent behaviour, authenticity, and reciprocity. You can hone your youth mentoring and leadership skills while having an awesome time playing rugby.
The 2018 season is running at four rugby clubs: Brothers in Albion, Easts at Cooparoo, Wests at Toowoong, and UQ at St Lucia. Becoming a Player Mentor in the MRP Colts at one of these clubs will allow you to experience the power of giving back, share your passion for sport and support a young person and their whole family to help them become an active part of their local community.
This video shows you how the MRP is changing lives.
Student position description
What skills do you need?
- You don’t need to be a rugby player!
- If you can catch a ball, pass a ball, run, and, most of all, be prepared to open your heart to connect with an amazing young person, that’s all you need.
Please note that once accepted into the MRP, you must register as a Player Mentor (volunteer status) through the relevant club to be covered for insurance. We will forward you the relevant information.*
*All students must have a current Working With Children Check.
Operating dates and times
When is the MRP Colts season?
- The season runs for 10 weeks, with the first game on Saturday 21 April until Saturday 23 June.
- The MRP season includes one Thursday or Friday evening training session (depending on the club) and a Saturday morning game each week (7.30 to 8.15am).
What are the key dates?
- A Player Mentor coaching session and family welcome barbecue will run in the afternoon on Sunday 18 March.
- The first club training session will be on either Thursday 19 April or Friday 20 April.
- An MRP exhibition match will be at half-time at Suncorp Stadium on Saturday 26 May.
- MRP end of season carnival is on Saturday 23 June.
As there are only 30 positions available, if you’d love to share your passion for inclusion, please register as soon as possible at www.mymrp.org/player-mentors
The MRP runs at four rugby clubs in the 2018 season: Brothers in Albion, Easts at Cooparoo, Wests at Toowoong and UQ at St Lucia.
Page last updated: 2018-02-16
Short url: http://www.acu.edu.au/1380573