Studying for my masters at ACU provided the impetus for me to return to Catholic education. It’s has been very important to my role here at Loreto, supporting my ability to lead the school in its mission and values.Dr Nicole Archard undertook a Master of Theological Studies online and is the Principal of Loreto College, Adelaide.
The Faculty of Theology and Philosophy offers the following postgraduate theology programs:
This course gives graduates in other disciplines a basic foundation in Christian theology, and allows theology graduates the opportunity to extend their knowledge in specific areas.
Students may elect to complete the Graduate Certificate in Theological Studies with a specialisation in ancient languages, the biblical world or liturgy.
Successful completion of the Graduate Certificate in Theological Studies qualifies students for admission (and advanced standing) into the Graduate Diploma in Theological Studies, Master of Theological Studies, or Master of Professional Studies in Theology.
This specialised postgraduate course introduces students to the study of liturgy. It provides both practical training and theoretical knowledge for those working in the area of liturgy in Roman Catholic dioceses, parishes, and school communities. The certificate is designed to:
- introduce the fundamentals of liturgical studies
- promote an up-to-date understanding of the Church’s official teaching on liturgical celebration
- provide training for catechesis and celebration of sacraments
- teach the principles underlying appropriate and effective use of music in the liturgy
- explore the Christian conception and celebration of time.
By studying the GCTS (Liturgy) I have been able to refine my knowledge and skills in liturgy... The interactive mode of the course meant that students came from all over the country which led to fantastic discussion and interaction. The final intensive live unit was the culmination of a wonderfully planned and well taught course.Josie Ryan, ACU graduate and Liturgy Coordinator, Loreto Kirribili
Effective leadership in Catholic organisations is not only about engaging people's energy, it is also about tapping into each person’s motivation to achieve something worthwhile, and focusing that motivation upon a task that is worth their commitment.
Against this background, authentic leadership in Catholic organisations means developing a deep understanding of Catholic identity, ethos, and mission and its integration with day-to-day leadership functions in modern organisations. This university qualification was developed in collaboration with industry partners, including Catholic Healthcare Australia, and is designed for leaders of Catholic health, aged care, educational, and social service organisations.
This is an executive level program for senior decision-makers and aspiring leaders in Catholic organisations. As it is a postgraduate qualification, participants are expected to have a bachelor degree or significant experience in a leadership or management role, preferably within a Catholic organisation.Read more and apply
This course is designed to help students develop an understanding of the theological concepts and understandings that are fundamental to the Catholic faith, and the core principles and practices for teaching religious education.
It was developed in consultation with the Catholic education sector to meet the specific requirements for Accreditation to Teach Religious Education in Catholic Schools, in accordance with the existing Catholic Education Commission Victoria (CECV) Accreditation Policy.
Note: Accreditation requirements differ locally and we recommend that students check specific requirements with their local diocese.Read more and apply
The Graduate Diploma in Theological Studies is a coursework award, providing pathways for graduates in other disciplines to gain a foundation in the study of Christian theology.Read more and apply
The Master of Theological Studies is a coursework degree for students seeking to develop mastery of theological knowledge and develop skills in communicating that knowledge.
Graduates of the Master of Theological Studies will:
- demonstrate a critical awareness of sources for and methodological approaches to a range of theological studies
- interpret biblical texts in view of historical, cultural, literary, philosophical, and theological analyses
- use biblical and theological resources to explain the historical origins, development, and interconnections of Christian doctrines
- articulate implications of Christian belief for Christian practice
- demonstrate advanced knowledge and skills in one or more theological disciplines
- have the opportunity to study units in philosophy that enrich theological understanding, including a specialisation in the discipline
- undertake a research-based project.
Within Catholic organisations, there is an identified need for professionals to understand and promote the identity, mission, and ethos of the Catholic Church. The Master of Professional Studies in Theology (MPST) has been developed specifically to address this need. It offers a unique perspective on leadership for mission, and provides a deeper level of engagement with the discipline of theology.
The MPST is ideal for Catholic school teachers and other Catholic school professionals looking to develop and enhance their leadership capacity (the engagement with the Enhancing Catholic School Identity Project provides a particular highlight) and is also suitable for professionals working in Catholic and other Church organisations, including healthcare, aged care, education, and social services.
This program is geared specifically towards professionals who may complete the program in one and a half years. We offer multiple entry points, and recognition for professional experience and prior learning, including 80 and 40 credit point pathways for students with relevant postgraduate qualifications.
Relevant postgraduate qualifications include
- Graduate Certificate in Catholic Studies;
- Graduate Certificate in Theological Studies;
- Graduate Certificate in Leadership and Catholic Culture;
- Graduate Diploma in Theological Studies;
- Graduate Certificate in Religious Education;
- Postgraduate Certificate in Education ;
- or equivalent.
Please view the course flyer for more information.
Page last updated: 2017-12-22
Short url: http://www.acu.edu.au/587179