Tailored for busy professionals
The Graduate Diploma in Australian Migration Law and Practice* equips students with the knowledge, understanding and practical skills required to practice as a qualified Migration Agent in Australia.
Students will study 8 units (subjects) over the course of one year (full time) or two years (part time). Subjects include:
- Australian Migration Law and Policy
- Ethics and Professional Practice
- the Australian Visa system, including applications, appeals and reviews.
The course emphasises problem-based, real-life interactive learning experiences.
The Graduate Diploma in Australian Migration Law and Practice is the minimum qualification for individuals seeking registration in Australia as a Migration Agent. Only Registered Migration Agents can legally give immigration assistance in Australia. Upon successful completion of the Diploma and the Capstone exam administered by Office of the Migration Agents Registration Authority (OMARA), graduates may seek registration to practice as a Registered Migration Agent. There are additional requirements for registration as a migration agent. Consult OMARA for further information.
Expression of interest
You can register your interest by submitting your details on the linked form and we will contact you with more information.
Delivery - multi-mode and intensive weekends
The Graduate Diploma is designed to accommodate professionals who may need to balance the competing pressures of family, work and lifestyle. The course is offered in intensive weekends at North Sydney and online.
The program consists of 8 units. All of the units are taught by highly qualified and experienced specialists in a small group setting.
On successful completion of the course, students should be able to:
- Demonstrate advanced knowledge of the legislative and policy framework of Australian Migration Law needed to practice as a Migration Agent;
- Demonstrate and clearly communicate an advanced understanding of Migration Law by interpreting and critically analysing research to prepare migration advice for diverse clients;
- Apply Migration Law research to creatively solve real world complex Migration Law problems, while balancing the interests of clients and the broader social community within the context of the Common Good;
- Critically analyse the professional and ethical considerations that Migration Agents face with reference to the Code of Conduct for Migration Agents and demonstrate skills in self-management, ethical and professional problem-solving and decision-making and appropriate use of 21st Century literacies.
The Graduate Diploma in Australian Migration Law and Practice equips students with the knowledge, understanding and skills to practice as a qualified migration agent. The Graduate Diploma addresses the Occupational Competency Standards for registered migration agents prescribed by the Department of Immigration and Border Protection and is the minimum qualification for individuals seeking registration in Australia as a migration agent. In addition, the Diploma provides generic, transferable, non-discipline specific employability skills including literacy, communication skills, critical thinking, and personal skills (such as time management and acting with integrity).
Upon successful completion of the Diploma and the Capstone exam administered by OMARA, graduates may seek registration to practice as a Registered Migration Agent. There are additional requirements for registration as a Migration Agent.
*The Department of Immigration and Border Protection has approved the ACU Graduate Diploma in Australian Migration Law and Practice as a prescribed course - see the Knowledge Requirements on the OMARA website
This course will be presented to ACU Academic Board and Senate early in 2018.
Page last updated: 2017-11-09
Short url: http://www.acu.edu.au/1343675