Health Sciences

Frequently asked questions - Counselling

Below you will find questions that prospective students often ask about undertaking a Counselling degree at ACU:

Open all

Study in counselling includes skill based training in most units. The whole course is focused on counselling practice which is a specialist area within psychology. Most classes are face-to-face and are highly interactive. Bachelor of Counselling is available in Melbourne and Brisbane and (most) postgraduate courses are available in Melbourne, Brisbane and Strathfield. The GradDipCouns (Child and Adolescent) is only available in Strathfield.

Most of the teaching staff are current practitioners as well as educators.

We have articulation agreements with the following organisations:

  • Victorian Aboriginal Community Controlled Health Organisation
    Diploma of Counselling
    30 credit specified: COUN106, HLSC120, COUN226
    30 credits unspecified
  • Charlton Brown (Queensland)
    Diploma of Community Services Coordination
    20 credits unspecified

Generally, you would do either an undergraduate degree or a graduate program. After this, there are a wide range of specialist professional training courses that could be undertaken. Also, sometimes students with undergraduate counselling degrees incorporate these skills in other areas by completing graduate study in, for example, public health, teaching or social work.

  • Employee Assistance Programs
  • Community Services
  • Regional Domestic and Family Violence Services
  • School Counselling
  • Government Agencies (eg child protection, addiction recovery centres)
  • Crisis Counselling Centres

Yes, although you are likely to require specialist training in relationship counselling after completing the degree. Also, some relationship counselling services require an initial period as an intern.

Not at present, although we are currently developing a Nursing/Counselling double degree to be offered from 2018.

  • Queensland: English (4, SA)
  • Victoria: Units 3 and 4 – a study score of at least 25 in English (any) or 30 for EAL

Each year students complete placements in a wide variety of settings. There is a placement co-ordinator on each campus to assist students to locate and manage placements. In 2016 students have been placed in:

  • Community Health Centres
  • Emergency Relief Services
  • Drug and Alcohol Services
  • Private Practice Settings
  • Primary and Secondary Schools
  • Disability Recruitment Services
  • Camps for Disadvantaged Children
  • a Trauma Centre
  • a Prison School
  • Services for the Homeless
  • Child Protection
  • Aged Care
  • Youth Program

All postgraduate classes are held in the evening and full-time study involves attending campus just two evenings a week.

The below courses are accredited by the Australian Counselling Association. Graduates of these courses are automatically eligible for full registration with the Australian Counselling Association:

  • Bachelor of Counselling
  • Graduate Diploma in Counselling (Child and Adolescent)
  • Graduate Diploma in Clinical Counselling
  • Master of Clinical Counselling.

Australian Counselling Association logo

Yes. You need to have a Bachelor degree, but it does not need to be in counselling.