1 year full-time
The Graduate Diploma in Education (Secondary) is for students who want to become qualified teachers in secondary schools and already have a bachelor degree in an area other than education. Graduates of this graduate diploma will meet the requirements for teaching in Catholic and other faith-based schools, independent, and government secondary schools.
Students can specialise in areas such as:
- Commerce and Business Studies
- Economics and Business
- ICT and Digital Technology
- Legal Studies
- Physical Education
- Religious Education
To be eligible for admission to the course, an applicant must have completed:
- a bachelor degree or equivalent qualification with a Grade Point Average (GPA) of 4.0;
- the required background studies in either two curriculum and teaching study areas or one double curriculum and teaching study area according to the local state registration authority requirements and relevant to the subject specialist areas available within the course.
For students who do not meet subject content requirements in the state/territory concerned, conditional enrolment may, in special circumstances, be approved by the Course Coordinator.
Although this course is recognised for teacher registration in Queensland, graduates are also eligible for registration as a secondary school teacher in government, independent, and Catholic schools in Western Australia due to recognition of accreditation for one year Initial Teacher Education programs from other jurisdictions. Students should refer to the Teacher Registration Board of WA for more detail about Teacher Registration.
During your degree, you will complete professional experience consisting of a minimum of 60 days of school-based learning experiences, structured observational tasks, and supervised professional experience in secondary school settings.
How do I apply and enrol?
- You will need to apply through Queensland Tertiary Admissions Centre (QTAC), via the ACU website.
- Choose QTAC code 113511 on the QTAC website.
- Once you have received your offer from ACU you will need to select online units to activate your enrolment. For information about units offered consult the ACU Course Enrolment Guide.
Applications close July 24, 2016