The Peter W Sheehan Gallery is located in Brisbane’s north eastern suburbs, providing the first public gallery near the Brisbane Entertainment Centre.
The Gallery works to promote dialogue on religious, equity and social justice issues through the visual arts. Working in partnership with schools, community groups, churches, art galleries and industry leaders, the Gallery strives to present a variety of engaging, thought-provoking and high-quality cultural and visual art exhibitions.
Entry to all exhibitions is free of charge and the gallery has wheelchair access via the automatic doors’ entrance.
As well as serving as a cultural focal point within the University and wider community, the Gallery is also an important resource for students of ACU’s School of Arts. The Gallery:
- hosts both national and international exhibitions, giving students the opportunity to attend floor talks given by the artists on show
- operates an intern program, enabling undergraduate and postgraduate students to develop practical experience in undertaking curatorial and collection work
- hosts the end-of year graduate exhibition and an annual show in Orientation Week, offering students an important opportunity to showcase their work at professional industry standards
The Gallery is a member of the Regional Galleries Association Queensland.
The Australian Catholic University's Gallery in Brisbane is located on the Brisbane Campus, on the ground level of the Peter W Sheehan Building - Banyo.
The Gallery is open Monday to Friday from 9am to 5pm.
- Banyo Railway Station 20 minute walk
- By car via Nudgee Road from city, or Gateway Motorway from Northern or Southern suburbs; on-campus parking is available, enter via Nudgee Road
PO Box 456
Virginia QLD 4014
Lindsay is an artist, researcher and lecturer in Visual Arts. As the co-ordinator of the ACU Gallery in Brisbane, Lindsay ensures a collaborative working relationship with community groups, professional artists, art galleries and services and the community.
Tina provides technical support for students who are enrolled in creative arts units. She also assists with the installation and care of exhibitions, as well as providing assistance with opening events.
- 1 gallery area
- floor to ceiling height: 3 metres
- loading dock location: outside N Block, via Nudgee Road
- lighting: adjustable track (spots) and house (down lighting)
- hanging system: adjustable track and line
- floor: grey carpet
- security (alarms and regular security patrols)
- adjacent space for video/film presentations
- adjacent kitchenette for catering for up to 100 people.
It is a requirement of the ACU Gallery at Brisbane that artist(s) and/or other exhibitors are responsible for the following:
- installation and maintenance of the exhibition (with pre-arranged assistance of gallery staff)
- an opening event including the provision of refreshments
- catalogue and invitation (the design of all promotional material must include the ACU logo and be approved by University Relations)
- provision of a gallery attendant for the duration of the exhibition (unless otherwise organised with gallery staff)
- prior to the exhibition the artist(s) must provide the gallery with a list of the artworks to be exhibited and their market valuation
- a commission will be payable on any artworks sold during exhibition, negotiable on a case-by-case basis
Hiring the gallery
The ACU Gallery at Brisbane is available for hire for private and corporate functions. Hiring charges are available on request from Campus Operations, telephone 07 3623 710007 3623 7100.
Additional services and facilities available within the university:
- audio visual equipment
Page last updated: 2017-06-29
Short url: http://www.acu.edu.au/217702