Education and Arts
The Faculty of Education and Arts Art Exhibitions are becoming something of a cultural hub in Ballarat. The Head Curator for the event held on the 17th of May is Dr Gillian Schroeter and this semester Ms Clare Gilmartin, Arts Administrator and student curator Rhiannon Eustice helped put it together. The exhibitions are all proudly supported by Campus Dean Associate Professor Joe Fleming.
Every year the Faculty of Education and Arts holds bi-annual Art Exhibitions where Bachelor of Education (Primary) and Bachelor of Education (Early Childhood and Primary) students exhibit their work. At the first of this year’s exhibition they welcomed a guest speaker and musician, Miranda Brockman of the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra who is also the parent of one of the students who were exhibiting. Ms Brockman presented a wonderful speech in regards to the value of the Arts in education and performed an exquisite piece for all to feel, hear and enjoy.
Pictured above is Miranda Brockman.
A large gathering of ACU students, staff, friends, family and community enjoyed an evening of immense cultural value. Chris Branson, Head of the School of Education attended the show and spoke to the students about his belief in Arts education and presented awards to students.
Each of the third-year Bachelor of Education (Primary) students contributed a final Art piece or performance for exhibition - there was a total of 26 pieces. Further student works developed in tutorials including; sculpture, photography, story books and self-portraiture were also on display.
Winners in the 2016 First Semester Student Art Exhibition were:
- Performance Award ($100) – Hannah Walter
- Selected and presented by Ballarat Campus Dean, Joe Fleming
- School of Education Choice Award ($180) – Tara Blythe
- Selected and presented by National Head of the School of Education, Chris Branson
- Executive Dean’s Encouragement Award ($250) – Elizabeth Dorian
- Selected and presented by National Head of Education Chris Branson
- Lecturer’s Choice Award – Beatrice Brockman-Munn
- Selected and presented by Gloria Stillman
- Artist’s Choice Award – Rhiannon Eustice
- Selected and presented by Special Guest Miranda Brockman
- ACU Acquisition Award ($250) – Rhiannon Eustice
- The Acquisition Award is chosen by the persons present on the evening. The award was presented by Campus Dean, Joe Fleming
Pictured above is Rhiannon Eustice Winner of the Acquisition Award next to her artwork.
Each Art Exhibition is supported very generously by the Ballarat Campus Dean, Associate Professor Joe Fleming and the Faculty of Education and Arts; Executive Dean, Head of School and Head of State.
Student's Artwork from the exhibition.