Scholarship and Research
Australian Catholic University's (ACU) community engagement research aims to make a difference in public policy and practice in government and other sectors at local, national and international levels.
Focus of Community Engagement Scholarship and Research
At the heart of ACU Mission is a fundamental concern for:
- social justice;
- the dignity of people; and
- promoting the common good.
Community engagement research calls ACU to a transformative role in the domain of policy and practice based scholarship and research focusing on today's critical societal issues of equity, social inclusion and cohesion.
Distinctive Leadership in Community Engagement Research
One of the core strengths of the University's distinctive and mission based approach to community engagement is the way that it informs and is informed by the University's teaching and research.
ACU's Institute for Advancing Community Engagement (IACE) shapes ACU's distinctive leadership in community engagement research through the Beyond Today agenda and themes
ACU's community engagement research strengths
- Common good and social justice - Cross-disciplinary research that enhance the social and cultural well-being of communities.
- Health - Research that progresses well-being, especially for the vulnerable in our society.
- Education - Research concerned with quality, equity and diversity in education.
- Theology and Philosophy - Research development and expression of Catholic intellectual thought.
Recent Community Engagement Research Papers and Presentations
Social Inclusion through Education 2012 - Clemente Australia
- "We're part of our own solution" - Social inclusion through community embedded, socially-supported university education. Australian Research Council Project.
- Personal Agency as a Primary Focus of University-Community Engagement: A Case Study of Clemente Australia. The Australasian Journal of University-Community Engagement
- Realising Personal Leadership Capacity through Transformative Community Engagement. The Australasian Journal of University-Community Engagement
- Humanities education as a pathway for women in regional and rural Ausrtalia: Clemente Ballarat. Australian Journal of Adult Learning
- Clemente Australia - community embedded socially supported university education: enhancing the lives and learning of the socially isolated. International Advances in Education: Global Initiatives for Equity and Social Justice Vol 1 Poverty and Social Class.
Social Inclusion through Education - Homework Support Programs
- The impact of the support provided at Atherton Gardens' Homework Support Program on children's and parents' sense of connection and integration. Australian Catholic University, Australia.
- The Impact of the Atherton Gardens Homework Support Program on Primary School Children's Learning. Australian Catholic University, Australia.
- The Impact of the Atherton Gardens Homework Support Program on Primary School Children's Learning – Report to Stakeholders. Australian Catholic University, Australia.
Social Inclusion through Education – The Poor and Catholic Schools Research
- The right to education: a new foundation for schools and communities. Navigating in Educational Contexts in Dialogue
- The Poor and Catholic Schools: A Transformative Agenda – Engaging Schools and Communities. Journal of Catholic Schools Studies.
- Transformational Partnerships: A New Agenda for Higher Education. Innovative Higher Education.
Engaging Youth through Sport in Timor Leste - Future in Youth
- Motivations, barriers, and the need to engage: Realities of establishing a sport for development project in Baucau, East Timor. Paper presented at the (ICSEMIS).
- Learn, engage, and transform: Building the community engagement life space through sport. Paper presented at the Engagement Australia Conference
- The influence of the future in youth (FIY) soccer program (East Timor) on motivations for coaching among local Timorese coaches. Paper presented at the 5th Exercise Science and Sports Australia Conference
Institute for Advancing Community Engagement (IACE) welcomes enquires about community engagement research and consultation.
Honours and HDR students, staff from ACU and higher education institutes are encouraged to be involved in our cross disciplinary research projects.