Australian Catholic University (ACU) is planning to develop the Melbourne Campus (St Patricks) in Fitzroy. The purpose of the development is to:
- accommodate student and staff growth over the next 10 years
- consolidate teaching spaces to improve the learning environment for students and access for staff.
The Development Plan
Our development plans have been taken to the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT), with the matter expected to be heard on 27 June.
The decision to take our final Development Plan Overlay for our Melbourne Campus to VCAT was made in order to meet the projected needs for students, staff and researcher facilities.
This was previously submitted to Yarra City Council on Friday 28 October, following significant community information and discussions with councillors and council officers.
Those discussions resulted in substantial changes to the design including a reduction in height from 14 storeys plus plant the 12 storeys plus plant; increased setbacks to decrease visual impact; removal of a proposed road closure and air bridges; and protection of Dutch Elm trees along Napier Street.
Unfortunately, Council was unable to determine our application until well into 2017 at the very earliest and further delays would have posed an unacceptable risk to the University.
The development plan includes staged renovation and construction over the next 10 years. This includes two principal works:
- Transforming the current flat carpark at the corner of Napier Street and Victoria Parade to provide a 12-storey teaching and academic space with underground parking for 270 vehicles and increased spaces for student collaboration and recreation.
- Replacing the existing Young Street carpark with open space and a new, triangular three-storey building.
The proposal will contribute to a pedestrian-focused campus hub, more open spaces, upgraded student amenities including green space, recreation facilities, and allow ACU to consolidate off-site teaching spaces to accommodate student, staff and research growth.
An overview of the project – Planning for our future (PDF, 796kB)
The following fact sheets contain more detailed information about specific project aspects:
- Why ACU is planning for the future? (PDF, 519kB)
- Project overview (PDF, 1.1MB)
- Architecture to inspire young minds (PDF, 952kB)
- Planning for traffic and parking needs (PDF, 323kB)
- Protecting our heritage and history (PDF, 725kB)
- Preserving our trees and increasing our open spaces (PDF, 1.3MB)
- Adapting to community feedback (PDF, 339kB)
- ACU's commitment to our communities (PDF, 537kB)
ACU’s proposal has evolved substantially in response to community and stakeholder feedback. In particular, we have reduced building height and increased setbacks to the street, resulting in proposed buildings with a reduced visual mass. Visual explanations of these changes can be found in the Massing comparison set (PDF, 4.4MB).
This proposal is part of our existing Campus Vision, the details of which can be found below.
The 10-year Vision for the Melbourne Campus was prepared by ACU and the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Melbourne.
The Development Plan and community consultation process is being conducted with the City of Yarra, project directors, Avium Projects, and planners, Urbis.
Page last updated: 2017-06-28
Short url: http://www.acu.edu.au/802843