Australian Catholic University (ACU) is planning to develop the Melbourne Campus (St Patricks) in Fitzroy. The purpose of the development is to:
- accommodate student and staff growth over the next 10 years
- consolidate teaching spaces to improve the learning environment for students and access for staff.
The Development Plan
Following extensive research, expert advice, stakeholder and community input, Australian Catholic University submitted the final Development Plan Overlay for our Melbourne campus to Yarra City Council on Friday 28 October.
The development plan includes staged renovation and construction over the next 10 years. This includes two principal works:
- Transforming the current flat carpark at the corner of Napier Street and Victoria Parade to provide a 12-storey teaching and academic space with underground parking for 270 vehicles and increased spaces for student collaboration and recreation.
- Replacing the existing Young Street carpark with open space and a new, triangular three-storey building.
The proposal will contribute to a pedestrian-focused campus hub, more open spaces, upgraded student amenities including green space, recreation facilities, and allow ACU to consolidate off-site teaching spaces to accommodate student, staff and research growth.
An overview of the project – Planning for our future (pdf, 796kB)
The following fact sheets contain more detailed information about specific project aspects:
- Why ACU is planning for the future? (pdf, 519kB)
- Project overview (pdf, 1.1MB)
- Architecture to inspire young minds (pdf, 952kB)
- Planning for traffic and parking needs (pdf, 323kB)
- Protecting our heritage and history (pdf, 725kB)
- Preserving our trees and increasing our open spaces (pdf, 1.3MB)
- Adapting to community feedback (pdf, 339kB)
- ACU's commitment to our communities (pdf, 537kB)
ACU’s proposal has evolved substantially in response to community and stakeholder feedback. In particular, we have reduced building height and increased setbacks to the street, resulting in proposed buildings with a reduced visual mass. Visual explanations of these changes can be found in the Massing comparison set (pdf, 4.4MB).
This proposal is part of our existing Campus Vision, the details of which can be found below.
The 10-year Vision for the Melbourne Campus was prepared by ACU and the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Melbourne.
The Development Plan and community consultation process is being conducted with the City of Yarra, project directors, Avium Projects, and planners, Urbis.