Australian Catholic University (ACU) is planning to develop the Melbourne Campus (St Patricks) in Fitzroy. The purpose of the development is to:
- accommodate student and staff growth over the next 10 years
- consolidate teaching spaces to improve the learning environment for students and access for staff.
The Development Plan
ACU has received Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT) approval for construction of a new building at the Melbourne Campus.
Development of the new building will see the current ground level carpark at the corner of Napier Street and Victoria Parade transformed into a 12-storey and 20,000sqm teaching, learning and research space.
The development plan includes staged renovation and construction over the next 10 years. This includes two principal works:
- Transforming the current flat carpark at the corner of Napier Street and Victoria Parade to provide a 12-storey and 20,000sqm teaching, learning and research space with underground parking for a maximum of 270 vehicles and increased spaces for student collaboration and recreation.
- Replacing the existincg Young Street carpark with open space and a new, triangular three-storey building.
The proposal will contribute to a pedestrian-focused campus hub, more open spaces, upgraded student amenities including green space, recreation facilities, and allow ACU to consolidate off-site teaching spaces to accommodate student, staff and research growth.
Subject to further approvals from Yarra City Council and the Heritage Council, construction is anticipated to commence mid-2018. Completion of the building is expected by March 2021.
An overview of the project – Planning for our future (PDF, 796kB)
The following fact sheets contain more detailed information about specific project aspects:
- Why ACU is planning for the future? (PDF, 519kB)
- Project overview (PDF, 1.1MB)
- Architecture to inspire young minds (PDF, 952kB)
- Planning for traffic and parking needs (PDF, 323kB)
- Protecting our heritage and history (PDF, 725kB)
- Preserving our trees and increasing our open spaces (PDF, 1.3MB)
- Adapting to community feedback (PDF, 339kB)
- ACU's commitment to our communities (PDF, 537kB)
ACU’s proposal has evolved substantially in response to community and stakeholder feedback. In particular, we have reduced building height and increased setbacks to the street, resulting in proposed buildings with a reduced visual mass. Visual explanations of these changes can be found in the Massing comparison set (PDF, 4.4MB).
This proposal is part of our existing Campus Vision, the details of which can be found below.
The 10-year Vision for the Melbourne Campus was prepared by ACU and the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Melbourne.
The Development Plan and community consultation process is being conducted with the City of Yarra, project directors, Avium Projects, and planners, Urbis.
If you have any feedback or questions, please email ACU.
Page last updated: 2017-10-27
Short url: http://www.acu.edu.au/802843